History of Use (Physical Description)
- This field contains descriptive information on the function or use of the object.
- This field contains details on the original function or use of an object.
| || Object Category|| Tools & Equipment for Materials|
| || Object Sub-category|| Basket, Broom, Brush Making T&E |
| || Object Name|| punch|
|History of Use|| punch used in basket making|
- N.B.: Some objects may have been altered for uses other than their original intended function. Enter any such changes here. It is important not to confuse this field with the Object Category and Object Sub-category fields. According to the Info-Muse classification system for ethnology, history and historical archaeology museums, the classification and name of an object are determined based on its original use.1
A terracotta pipe from Europe, transformed by Indians into a necklace
| || Object Category|| Personal Artifacts|
| || Object Sub-category|| Personal Gear|
| || Object Name|| pipe|
|History of Use|| terracotta pipe made in Europe, turned into a bead for an Indian necklace|
- The History of Use field is particularly useful when information is entered clearly, concisely and consistently.
| || Object Name|| clawfoot bathtub|
|History of Use|| clawfoot bathtub converted into a cattle trough|
- Some exceptions may apply. For details on the classification of objects according to their functions, see the section of the guide entitled "The Info-Muse classification system for ethnology, history and historical archaeology museums."