Use Country (Origin)
- This field contains the name of the country or countries where the object was used.
- N.B.: Do not confuse the Use Country field with the Originating Country field. The Use Country field indicates the name of the country where the object was used, whereas the Originating Country field indicates the name of the country where it was produced.
A carafe manufactured in France and used in Canada
| ||Object Name|| carafe|
| ||Originating Continent||Europe|
| ||Originating Country|| France|
| ||Use Continent||North America|
|Use Country|| Canada|
- For better search results in your database, avoid using a large variety of terms; draw up an authority list and add names of countries as necessary. See documentation tip No. 2 (in French only) for bibliographic references.
- This field is used in conjunction with the Use Continent field.
- Enter the full name of the country; do not use abbreviations.
|Use Country|| United States|
| ||and not |
| ||Use Country|| USA|
- If the name of the use country has changed, first enter its current name, followed by a comma and a space, then the name that applied at the time the object was used.
A shawl worn in Kashmir in the early 19th century. Kashmir has
not been an independent state since 1949.
| ||Object Name|| shawl|
| || Begin Date||1800 L|
| || End Date||1825 P|
| ||Use Continent||Asia|
|Use Country|| India, Kashmir|
- If you are unsure whether your information is correct, include a space and a question mark after the name of the country.
An adze probably used in Botswana
| ||Object Name|| adze|
| ||Use Continent||Africa|
|Use Country|| Botswana ? |
- This field may contain several entries, since an object may have been used in more than one country over the years—for instance if it belonged to an immigrant. The names of the countries should then be entered in chronological order, beginning with the most recent. Entries should be separated by a semicolon followed by a space.
A plate made in China for export. It was used in the United
Kingdom and then in Canada.
| ||Object Name|| plate|
| ||Originating Continent||Asia|
| ||Originating Country|| China|
| ||Use Continent||North America; Europe|
|Use Country|| Canada; United